Case study list
Installation of energy and water efficiency measures in new build
Newport City Council
In building Rogerstone Primary School Newport City Council adopted high levels of energy and water efficiency measures with the result that energy and water consumption and cost is minimised.
- a Sedum roof which has improved insulation characteristics and also includes a rainwater collection system.
- collected water is used for toilet flushing throughout the building;
- north facing glazing to take advantage of natural daylight but avoiding overheating during the summer;
- underfloor heating and natural ventilation system all controlled by a building management system;
- lighting which is sensor controlled to ensure that it switches off when rooms are empty and dims when natural daylight is sufficient;
- high efficiency condensing boilers;
- photovoltaic solar panels;
- hot water solar panels; and
- a high standard of insulation throughout the school.